BUILT BY SEABROOK

 
 

LIST OF BUILDINGS        BOOK INDEX

  A good Christmas gift!
 

  2006 Malcolm Ward text and images
  "Built by Seabrook" documents the history and construction of 43 buildings in Hobart which were built over the time of 4 generations of the Seabrook family, from the 1830s to the 1940s. 

Each building is described in a separate section and the text includes discussion of the actual construction, who commissioned the building, the history of the land, and for private houses, the story of the people who commissioned the work.  The illustrations include copies of architectural plans (many by Henry Hunter and a number of others still held by the Seabrook family), Sprent's survey plans of Hobart from the early 1840s, old and recent photos and details such as stonework, fireplaces, tiling, doorways and ironwork.  A list of the buildings, owners and other details can be found here.  The index of the book is here.

View the first of two pages concerning the construction of the Executive Buildings (see picture, below) via an Adobe PDF download here.  The first two of 4 pages on some of the Seabrook's own houses can be seen in this PDF download (about 700kb; note that image resolution has been reduced).

The book is 116 pages, with a number in full colour, illustrating some of the more outstanding examples, such as Runnymede, New Town Park, Wybra Hall, Ryhope, H Jones & Co. offices, the Executive Buildings, Franklin Square, the original Royal Society Museum building and others.  A full index and list of references are included.

The architects of the Seabrook buildings included James Thomson, James Blackburn, Henry Hunter, William Eldridge Butler & Rodway, Douglas Salier, Hutchision & Huckson and John Rait.  A number of other builders and their buildings are discussed and illustrated, including Duncan & Crow, Stabb Brothers, William Cheverton, Thomas Reynolds and Richard Roberts.

Also in the book is an account of the Seabrook Family Reunion of January 2006, with a list of main session registrants and photos of the various events and participants.

       
  Just some of the buildings discussed and illustrated in the book:
   
 

  The Executive Building, Franklin Square 1884-87 Section through Wybra Hall 1905-06
       
 

  Ardglen, Davey Street, 1911 Ardglen and Rostrevor, Davey Street 1911
       
 
  Cairn Lodge, now known as Runnymede c1840 The Royal Society Museum, cnr Macquarie & Argyle Streets 1861-62
       
 

  New Town Park, New Town c1835 Porch of St George's Church, Battery Point 1887
       
 
  2 Pitt Street, North Hobart 1866 H Jones & Co buildings, Hunter Street; Seabrook was involved in the three at the left, and the warehouse at far right, from 1911-1921